Ödemis is situated on the south-east of Izmir. The county which is 113 km. away from Izmir is famous for its natural and historical beauties. Gölcük, one of the best recreational areas of Izmir is with in the boundaries of Odemis.
The famous bazaar which set up on Saturdays draws the attention of both local and foreign people. In this colourful bazaar one can find every kind of handcrafts, embroiders, silk materials and scarves fresh vegetables and fruits and local herbs.
Birgi, 120km to Izmir, is situated onthe south slope of Mt. Boz (Bozdag). Birgi was an important center in Lydian period and dominated by Persians, Roman and Byzantines respectively. The town was named as Dioshieron, Christopolis and Pyrgion,which means tower or fortress. It was named Birgi after the Turks captured it in 14th century. Birgi contains fine examples of traditional Turkish architecture, such as the Mansion of Çakir Aga, Ulu Camii (The Grand Mosque) and Aydinogullari Tomb
THE ÇAKIRAGA MANSION
It of is general opinion that the Çakiraga Mansion was built in 1761 by Serif Aliaga. Preserved in its original style of architecture it is one of the rare houses of the Aegean Region. Inside the house are detailed wall paintings scholars have dated these interior paintings to the 19th century. The mansion is a three storied building with an exterior hall ( dis oda ) and a double main room ( kösk oda )the walls of the ground floor were built with a technique of stone bond. The other walls were of wooden frames filled in with brick and mud brick.
The stone paved ground contains a servant's room, a watchman's room, a waiting room and stable. From the ground floor a straight up right staircase led to the mezzanine floor. The room, on this second floor have lower ceiling indicating that these were the rooms in use during the winter months the third floor plan is long and rectangular with an open hall.
It contains two raised sitting platforms, two overhangs and main rooms. Included on this floor are small raised platforms and airy half-opened room looking to the hall. The Ministry of Culture initiated the restoration work in 1977 and in 1983 insured to protect the original architectural structures by expropriating environment.
The restoration work and environmental arrangements were completed in 1993 by the Ministry of Culture General Directorate of Survey and Monuments in Izmir.
The interior arrangements and exhibition preparations were carried out by the directorates of Izmir and Ödemis Museums.
BIRGI MEHMET EFENDI MEDRESESI (Theological school)
Birgivi Mehmet Efendi Medresesi which faces the Ulu camii was built by Ataullah Efendi in 1553. It was made of stones and bricks. There is a marble partico covered with three domes. Medrese is consisted of 7 rooms each opens to the portico. It was restored in 1964- 1965
ULU CAMII (THE GRAND MOSQUE) Aydinoglu Mehmet Bey had this mosque built in 1311-1312. The mosque of which plan is square is made of cut stones as well as construction materials of former civilization. The thick minaret with its attractive brick work is very impressive.
Bozdag is one of most beatiful towns of Ödemis, country. It is set up on the slope of Mt. Boz which is 3157 metre above the sea level.Bozdag is a green paradise suurounded with chestnut, walnut and cedar trees. In antiquity Bozdag was called Tmolos. Since there is considerable snow fall in winter time, a ski resort was set up in Bozdag.
Gölcük is located in the middle of a high plateau which is covered with pine trees. There are cottages, restaurats around the crater lake which is 970 metre above the sea level.
The idea of establishing a museum at Ödemis, which is located on a fertile valley lying among the mountains Bozdaglar in the north and Aydin in the south and irrigated with Küçük Menderes river, first emerged in 1974. The first concrete step towards that end was taken when during the 1975 - 1976 period Mutahhar Basoglu, a collector himself, donated two plots of land totalling 2772 meter square to the Treasury, to be used for a museum building.
This land was allocated to the General Directorate of Ancient Works and Museums of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism on 4.1.1977 by the Ministry of Finance. The General Directorate started the construction of the museum within the same year and it was completed in 1983. Before Ödemis Museum came into being, the items from the area were being kept and cared for at Izmir Archeology Museum and the Tire Museum. They were later transferred back from both museums. In order to achieve chronological unity, the missing and needed archeological and ethnographic items and coin samples were selected from various museums and transferred to the Ödemis Museum.
The museum, which is designed in a tent form, has a basement and only one floor above it, and consists of a single hall. In the building which was originally conceived as an ethnographical museum, archeological items from the environs are also displayed in addition to ethnographic material. The displays of the archeological section are mostly from Old Bronze Age (3000 B.C) and Archaic (700 - 480 B.C) Classic (480 330 B.C), Hellenistic (330 - 30 B.C), Roman (30 B.C - 395) and Byzantine (395 -1453) periods. There are ceramics, idols, blades and axes, oil lamps, bronze pieces, glass pieces, ornaments, baked earth statuettes, and marble statuettes. There are also a total of 2545 coins in the archeological section from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods. The ethnography section contains various weapons, copper and silver items, glass pieces, ornaments, embroideries, and costume samples, mostly belonging to the Ottoman period. There are also examples of handicrafts from the Republican period of Turkey. There is a total of 4458 items at the Ödemis Museum. A group of archeological and ethnographic material was donated by the collector Muhtar Basoglu, some were purchased and other confiscated items.